Information & Services
Hours of Operation
See the bottom of each web page for normal library hours.
We are closed for federal holidays and whenever Otis-Bison schools are closed due to inclement weather.
What We Offer
- Books (fiction, nonfiction, large print, reference)
- Music CDs
- Audio books (on CD or cassette tape)
- Computer CD-ROMs
- Magazines, newspapers
- Video games and accessories
- Download audio books or eBooks to your compatible device using Overdrive
- eBook and audiobook checkouts available through our Digital Library
- Download FREE e-books to keep from Project Gutenberg
- Multiple copies are great for book clubs. Check out an entire set at a time for every member of your book club!
Ask at the front desk for each of the following:
If you wish to donate a book to the library in memory of a friend or family member, please consider the following options:
- You can make a cash donation to the library with a request that a certain book or type of book be purchased.
- You can make an unrestricted cash donation to the library.
- You can donate a book to the library. (Note: If the library already owns a copy of the donated book, there is no guarantee that a second copy will be added to the collection.)
When a book is purchased or accepted as a memorial, a bookplate is inserted into the front cover with the name of the honored individual. Please ask the librarian for more information.
- Computer use and access - 15 minutes when others are waiting; 1 hour maximum per day
|Computer prints - black and white||$0.20|
|Computer prints - color||Ask at front desk|
|Damaged Items||Purchase price of Item|
|Fax received - per page||Ask at front desk|
|Fax sent - per page||Ask at front desk|
|Lost item||Purchase price of Item|
|Photocopies - black and white||$0.20|
|Photocopies - color||Ask at front desk|
|Replacement case - CD/DVD/Blu-Ray||Ask at front desk|
|Replacement library card||Ask at front desk|
- The book mobile visits every 2 months with a wide selection of books, DVDs and audiobooks from other libraries in the CKLS system. Feel free to ask the librarian to keep a lookout for any desired genres, series, or themes.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Can't find what you're looking for? Log into Pathfinder Central at the top right hand corner of the Pathfinder page using your login and password (the librarian can help you set these up) to search and place holds OR ask the librarian to do a search and hold for you. The materials generally arrive within 1-2 weeks.
- Donated Books - Take one, leave one
Along the back wall of the library, we have a bookcase filled with books and materials in need of new homes. If you see one you like, feel free to take it for keeps. Better yet, exchange it for a book from home that you're ready to give away.
Did You Know...?
Otis Community Library is part of the Central Kansas Library System (CKLS), which is 1 of 7 regional library systems in Kansas.
In 1965, Kansas Statutes K.S.A. 75-2547 and 75-2548 established seven regional systems to help local libraries provide library services to all citizens of the state. Through the use of joint planning and financing of library services, the systems improve existing library service and utilize what federal funding becomes available.
Originally the systems only served public libraries, but over time their roles have expanded to include school, academic and special libraries. Each system adapts its service to the needs of the libraries it serves, therefore there are services offered in one area that are not offered in another, however, they come together to work with the State Library to develop goals and determine plans for improving library service throughout the state.